Hayden Fry To Be Honored At North Texas-UTSA Game
Promotions Include Giveaways Of $5,000, Apple MacBook Pro Computers To Students
DENTON - Saturday's North Texas football game against UT San Antonio at Apogee Stadium is not only a critical showdown between in-state rivals who are two of the top contenders in Conference USA's West Division, it's also a day packed with gameday promotions, including honoring legendary coach Hayden Fry and giveaways to students of $5,000 and two Apple MacBook Pro computers.
Saturday's game kicks off at 6 p.m., and pits the first-place Mean Green against UTSA, which is 3-1 on the season.
The day's festivities include:
- Hayden Fry reunion tailgate and recognition. A private dinner reception is being held Friday night for coach Fry, who led North Texas from 1973-1978. He won 40 games in that span and had four straight winning seasons to round out the era, including a 10-win season and national ranking in 1977. Fry left UNT to become head coach at Iowa, where he led the Hawkeyes to three Big 10 titles. After his retirement, he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Coach Fry will be honored at halftime of the North Texas-UTSA game, and his former Mean Green players in attendance will also be recognized.
- Breast cancer awareness game, in conjunction with Zeta Tau Alpha. Pink pom poms will be handed out and pink t-shirts will be on sale, with proceeds benefitting the American Cancer Society. Fans can also make donations via a website Zeta Tau Alpha's has set up at give.zetataualpha.org.
- Incoming Chancellor Lesa Roe will participate in the pre-game coin toss.
- Student giveaways. Registered student organizations are invited to participate in a contest to win $1000 just for supporting the Mean Green. If at least 40 percent of an organization's membership is in attendance at the end of the 3rd quarter, it will be entered to win $1000. There will be five $1,000 giveaways. Also, two students will win an Apple MacBook Pro computer.
- Recognition of the Greek Life Presidents.
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes Fields of Faith event.
- SAAC winter garment drive. The North Texas Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is doing its annual drive to collect winter garments to give to those less fortunate. Fans can donate coats at the designated drop-off inside Apogee Stadium under the wing seating sections at the north end of the stadium.
Tickets to the game are on sale through the North Texas athletics ticket website at MeanGreenSports.com/tickets, by phone at 940-565-2527 or 800-868-2366, or in person at the main ticket office at Apogee Stadium's Gate 2, 1251 S. Bonnie Brae, Denton.
Student tickets are free but must be accessed by going to MeanGreenStudentTickets.com on an iPhone or Android device. Students may also purchase guest tickets for $10 each by visiting MeanGreenStudentGuest.com on your iPhone or Android device. Click here for more information and FAQs.